October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month
October is nationally and locally recognized as Domestic Violence Awareness Month. In an effort to raise awareness about the issue, educate the public, and inspire action, the Mayor of Goleta, Paula Perotte, will be reading a Proclamation officially designating the month of October 2017 as Domestic Violence Awareness Month at the October 17, 2017, afternoon (1:30pm) City Council meeting.
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office has produced a video on sexual assault in Isla Vista, prevention and available resources. It can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlvzB0Gmkw&t=10s.
In Santa Barbara County, Domestic Violence Solutions (DVS) is there to help those in need. In 2015/16, DVS:
- Answered more than 6,250 calls.
- Responded in over 468 law enforcement and emergency room situations.
- Assisted 949 victims in acquiring legal assistance.
- Provided 12,212 safe nights to victims of domestic violence.
- Provided over 1,200 youth and adults with knowledge necessary to get help or assist a friend in an abusive relationship seek help.
- Sheltered a wider range of clients, 62% of which were children.